General Hospital: This Storyline Should End

By Marlena De Lacroix a.k.a. Connie Passalaqua Hayman

When has a storyline go on too long?  This is a question normally leftonly to headwriters who must figure out if an audience is still interested in the outcome of a story. Right now on General Hospital, one storyline that has gone on too long is the secret biological parentage of Maxie’s baby girl, which she supposed bore as a surrogate baby for Dante and Lulu.  The baby has been born, yet Maxie still has not confessed the truth. (Although, at least, Spinelli  does finally know he is the baby’s biological father.)

Maxie (Kristen Storms) is still keeping her secret

This secrecy makes Maxie seem cruel and heartless. Dante and Lulu are being hurt. They now have full possession of “their” little girl (as yet unnamed).  How much longer can this go on?  Viewers don’t know who to root for.  And the situation doesn’t seem to have any resolution that will seem satisfactory. The story and the situation are just too painful for the audience and every character involved.  It’s been almost a year since this storyline kicked off. Get the truth of the baby’s parentage out already!

Wyatt Who?

One of the notable additions to a soap opera this year has been Emmy winner Darin Brooks, who has joined The Bold and the Beautiful as Wyatt Spencer.  Brooks, who starred as Max Brady on Days of Our Lives, is a very good actor and very charismatic.  Yet, the character of Wyatt has remained very undefined.  Is he a good guy or a bad guy?  On the one hand, he has defended Katie and urged his father Bill not to desert her or their baby as Bill deserted his mother Quinn when Wyatt was a baby.  On the other hand, he has taken every opportunity to try and seduce his half-brother Liam’s fiancé Hope.    Although the character seems likable right now, it’s really hard for the audience to get a fix on who he is exactly. We hope it’s a problem the writers of B&B have the real Wyatt stand up soon..

A Less Than Grand Finale

Seldom has a soap character had a better send off than the late Katherine Chancellor. (Jeanne Cooper, who played her, died this spring).  The two day memorial service on The Young and the Restless last week had it all — a beautiful outdoor setting, and guest characters from the past cast like Danny, Nina and Amber.   Yet the capstone of the service —  the sudden wedding of Paul Williams and Christine — was in very bad taste and detracted from the solemn grandeur of the observance. Happily, both occasions were presided over by Father Todd Williams, nicely played by Cooper’s real life son Corbin Bernsen. Until now, we didn’t even know Paul had a brother.

A Proper Farewell for Connie?

Speaking of send-offs … Last week we stated that the unfortunately murdered Connie Falconeri had not even been given a funeral on GH.  This week, spoilers say she will get one, though a few very pertinent mourners will not be attending.  Stay tuned!

Comments

1. Kevin says:

I don’t know Marlena.

I’m old-school and was brought up on those “Young and the Restless” story lines that took 2-4 years to finally come to a resolution.

So Maxie secretly carrying her and Damian’s baby for 8 months is no biggie. Truth is, I wouldn’t mind this one dragging out a couple more years. Like I said, Y&R in the 1980′s trained me for all of this. :)

2. Tommie says:

Not sure when Corbin made his debut as Father Todd, but he has been seen a few times over the past few years, in storylines involving Patty and Ricky. I look at Katherine’s memorial/wedding as a final hurrah for the vets of the show. In Thursday’s episode, all but Jack and Victor had disappeared, and we were once again treated to the dreary storylines involving Jason Quartermaine and Noah Newman’s endless quest for a career.

• Mama says:

Ha Ha! I feel ya.

If that show killing witch Jill Farren Phelps isn’t shoving Jason Quartermaine (oops!, I mean Dullan) down our throats, it’s one of her “Hollywood Heights” carry overs. Esther, Paul, Nikki and Victor will probably be seen once a week at most from now.

3. James says:

Chere Marlena,

Thanks for another column. Always a highlight of my week.

Corbin Bernsen first played Father Todd Williams back in 2003 or so. They’ve brought him back several times over the years. He specifically had a scene with his mother when Father Todd helped out an especially drunk Kay during the time when she was off the wagon.

I agree, Paul and Christine’s wedding in the middle of Kay’s funeral was bizarre and inappropriate. It’s not like Kay had been pushing hard for them to reunite or anything, so it just felt like it came out of left field. I would have much rather seen Phillip III back for the funeral and sharing some memories of his grandmother. Hell, for that matter, I’d rather Brock actually get some good screen time with his recollections and flashbacks.

So, overall, a nice funeral, but some very questionable choices were made about what/who to include and exclude.

The Maxie baby storyline is on schedule. It just started back in October last year. The problem is the pacing of the storyline. GH feels especially disjointed these days. Storylines get dropped for weeks at a time, then come back for a while and disappear again. That’s been especially true since they’ve tried to ram the Llanview Three into the show as new characters. The Maxie baby storyline is one of those storylines that has especially suffered from fits and sputtering pacing.

You haven’t mentioned AMC or OLTL in your column since their returns in late April. I’m assuming that’s because you haven’t watched them online or on OWN. If you ever get around to watching them, would love to see your take the shows. AMC feels like a reboot, returning to the small town feel and socially relevant storylines that made it great in the 1970s. OLTL feels more like a continuation of the end of the ABC run in 2011.

4. Eric Henwood-Greer says:

There’s something, of course, to be said for Agnes Nixon’s mantra “Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry, make ‘em wait,” (which she credits to Dickens as many have, but apparently was actually said by his contemporary and friend, who he published, Wilkie Collins, who also graces us, literally, with the first serial cliff-hanger.) know the early 80s OLTL baby switch story with Jenny took, I believe, two years to be resolved, and it’s considered a classic. But, on the other hand, I could never stand Reilly’s way of stretching storylines–and I believe this is one of Carlivati’s big downfalls. He stretches key stories out too long–and with little interest in the meantime. So we have all these stories (and did on OLTL) that are unresolved, and instead we get the same fake-outs (ie when it looks like a confession is to be made and the next day we find out it isn’t) and endlessly repeated scenes with no true character or story growth in the meantime. In other words he does them badly (the endless Robin Scorpio story is another one even if that’s not all his fault, due to actor demands.) It’s good, classic soap tropes done poorly, IMHO and I agree with your excellent post, Connie. I agree with James that RC’s storytelling is too disjointed, which adds to this (it seems weird to complain of a show being overstuffed with characters.)

I hate to bug you endlessly, but I’m with James–I’m anxious to hear your thoughts on the “first seasons” of AMC and OLTL online and I guess you just haven’t had time to watch them yet. I miss them already, AMC especially which near the end made any of the network soaps look old fashioned (in a bad way) in comparison. I’m frustrated by the OLTL being “shelved” announcement but glad AMC is going back for more episodes in Oct.

In case you haven’t heard, Connie, or your readers haven’t, Jeff Giles has published what I think is the best soap book in at least a decade, Llanview in the Afternoon: An Oral History of One Life to Live. It’s self published but can be ordered through Amazon as a Kindle book or as a print-on-demand paperback. I’ve already finished it, and it’s a completely unbiased look at the soap done through interviewing literally hundreds of cast and crew members–especially great are all the interviews bout the show in the 70s and so many details finally being talked about (why certain writers were hired and fired, etc.) By being an unbiased story told only through others’ words it’s also instructive to read the “he said/she said” take on some of the controversies (like Ellen Holly’s firing) and deciding for ones self where between the two opinions the truth lies. It puts most current soap “journalism” to shame–highly recommended.

5. SZima says:

Were you serious when you said “Until now, we didn’t even know Paul had a brother.”? Maybe you don’t watch Y&R regularly, but I’ve know since Corbin first came on the show around 2004 that he was Paul’s brother. And if I were Corbin Brensen, I would be really pissed at TPTB for desecrating his mother’s “funereal” with that out-of-the-blue wedding ceremony. How stupid was that?!?
    Overall, I was actually disappointed with the memorial. I thought the special episode they did shortly after Jeanne died, where everyone talked out of character, was a much better memorial.

6. Anonymous says:

maxie jones is the real mother not lulu spencer maxie jones will get baby connie jones dante falconeri is the real father not spinelli because spinelli making love affair with ellie thats why alexis davis is not a attorney diane miller is the really attorney robin scropio drake belongs to patrick drake not sabrina lulu spencer let go of baby connie jones