By Marlena De Lacroix
1. Isn’t it most curious that two of the most intelligent women characters in daytime — Dr. Marty Saybrooke on One Life to Live and fashion mogul Jackie M on The Bold and the Beautiful – have gone from brunette to blonde in the last few months? Fashion, or just another attempt by the networks/shows to “dumb down” smart female characters? Regardless, Susan Haskell and Lesley Ann-Downe continue to look gorgeous and act with integrity!
2. The great, the one and only Eric Braeden; my revered and beloved Robin Strasser — am I the only one l who feels used and tired out by … Continued below
MARLENA AND NIGEL’S HALLOWEEN POOCH PARADE
Continued from above … being drawn into their public contract negotiations? Sure, they don’t deserve pay cuts! But can’t they keep the drama and tragedy private? The press gets (and loves to be) manipulated and we fans get a headache. As I’ve said in the past, its so tasteless when there are millions of unemployed people in this country!
3. Am I the only one to be infuriated that One Life to Live made police commissioner Bo and D.A. Nora commit a CRIME by hijacking/kidnapping their paralyzed son, Matthew, to London? I don’t care what excuse OLTL invented to justify this. What a dis to the characters, their fans and the actors who have played them magnificently for decades!
4. As a teacher and a professor, I’ve loved and admired the scenes on OLTL in which high school teacher Nick (the wonderful Nicholas Rodriguez) told his class he is gay! Such honesty and such a great political statement!
5. Just because SONY and Mr. Corday‘s Days of Our Lives is getting slightly better ratings by featuring younger actors (and guillotining beloved vets like Drake and Deidre, who built the show in the first place) does that make it “right”? No respect, no respect for us longtime fans. Only the unethical survive these soap days, I guess.
6. So in the new ABC General Hospital promo, Sonny is going to “decide Claudia’s fate” because after two years he finally learned she was responsible for Michael’s shooting. For first tine in twenty years of soap criticism, Marlena has no words.
7. Hasn’t GH‘s Kelly Monaco (Sam) come a long way in her serious acting as evidenced in her recent ultra-serious scenes with the mamma Alexis (Nancy Grahn)? Thanks to Marlena Thinking Fan Melanie Sardiarikis for pointing out the key scenes and finally making me a Monaco believer!
8. For thirty years, As the World Turns’ Colleen Zenk Pinter (as well as her husband, multi-soap vet Mark Pinter) has been one of the most solid dramatic soap performers, one of the many veteran rocks upon soaps have been built. But, as demonstrated in her recent storyline with Lynn Herring and Trent Dawson, who knew Ms. Pinter was a comic genius as well? Bravo!
9. ATWT, please bring back Stuart Damon as menacing Uncle Ralphie! His layered portrayal was so much more than just Soprano-esque! Daytime fans need the supremely talented and beloved Damon as much as he says he needs us!
10. So, it’s finally been revealed by All My Bogus Children that Adam murdered his beloved twin Stuart. Quelle nonsense! For personal testimony of David Canary‘s absolute dedication to his character Stuart, here’s the 5 part (originally 7 hours long) video interview I (Connie Passalacqua Hayman) did with master actor Canary in 2004 for the Archive of American Televisions’ prestigious Emmy Legend series.
One of the interesting things he revealed to me is that he modeled Stuart’s speech and mannerisms on his son, who was a child in the 80s. The kid’s a college grad now!