Thinking Fans’ summer thoughts on this, that and the other: Esther is happy Holly is making an appearance on Guiding Light, and wishes Monti Sharp would come back, too … Steve finds, “The acting from the new younger set on General Hospital is good, but I’m horrified by the misogyny and thug worship in their stories” … while Roger Newcomb is “actually excited about the Daytime Emmys. The producer this year is a lifelong fan of soaps and has produced some pretty classy award shows in the past” … and more. See Comments below.
By Marlena De Lacroix
1. Isn’t it interesting that both Gigi and Stacy on One Life to Live wore as low as you can go cleavage during their catfight this week? I mean, those puppies were popping out! Isn’t it interesting that Brian Frons‘ current photo on his Facebook page is that of a big dog sitting in the driver’s seat of a car? (I’m not kidding. Check it out!)
2. Now that Mary Jane‘s stuffed cat (a.k.a. Kitty) has turned out to be the surprise star of the summer on The Young and the Restless, why hasn’t CBS begun marketing souvenir versions yet? Let me tell ya, city gal Marlena just loves taxidermy …
3. Hey Bradley Bell, headwriter of The Bold and the Beautiful! Marlena knows what you are doing! Aren’t you copying your father’s two most successful stories of the 80s at the same time? That’s the (then wonderful, now nauseating) Brooke-Ridge-Taylor love story and the establishment of a “comic” second family (Jackie M and cronies including Nick, Pammy, and new arrival Whip) a la Spectra Designs. Lightning doesn’t strike twice in the same place! The late Darlene Conley made Sally Spectra a natural phenomenon and Spectra worked because of her unique comedic talents. How we loved her! How we miss her!
4. Isn’t it interesting that Y&R‘s Deacon Sharpe (Sean Kanan) walks around in a tight black tee shirt exposing his Popeye-esque bulging arm muscles? Isn’t that almost exactly the black tee/ bulging muscles daily get-up of Jason Morgan on General Hospital? As we all know, Steve Burton and Kanan used to play kind of look-alike brothers Jason and A.J. on GH!
5. Is anyone still watching the calamity known as All My Children? I quit the day Tad, playing a game of darts, accidentally fired a dart into Liza‘s very pregnant stomach, revealing to him her pregnancy was a fake. How many viewers out there are or have been ever pregnant? Misogyny on AMC? Makes an old Agnes fan like me want to weep!
6. Now that Guiding Light is bringing back veterans for its grand finale, may I suggest two characters played by two of the best actors ever to appear on this program, both Emmy winners? I’d love to see David Grant, played by Monti Sharp, and Marcus Williams, played by Kevin Mambo, who actually won two Emmys, come back.
7. Why don’t we ever give the old vets the praise they deserve? After more than 35 years, the sarcastic wit and hilarious facial expressions of Marie Masters (Susan) on As the World Turns still crack me up, doing a lot to relieve the silliness of the plot when it’s been discovered that Susan’s daughter Allison and Hunter can’t be lovers because they’ree brother and sister!
8. Am I the only one not counting the days until the Daytime Emmys on the CW? Last year’s network show had no class. The prospect of an award show done on the cheap actually frightens me!
9. Who is the find of the soap year? How about the refreshingly natural young man General Hospital found for the almost impossible to cast role of a grown Michael, son of those skunks Sonny and Carly? His name is Drew Garrett, and he seems to have a real passion for art of serious acting. And you gotta be good and serious to make the same old deplorable Guza scripts suddenly seem sensitive and real!
10. So Y&R decided to give Lily ovarian cancer?. I’m sure Y&R will do an superb job of telling this important social issue story. But to spring it on the audience in the middle of the summer? Remember long, long ago when soaps used to do romance (like Luke and Laura on the run in 1980) in the summer? I love Y&R, but summer’s my vacation. I’d rather mellow out in the pool than cry my eyes out over this story.
Waiter, bring me another margarita from the Tiki bar!